Saturday, September 24, 2011

White Bean Chicken Chili

My brother introduced me to this recipe and I love how easy it is to make, especially since you don't even have to cook the chicken, you just buy a supermarket roasted chicken. My fav is the chicken from Costco. Not only are they tasty, but they're a bit bigger than the supermarket ones and less money. I can usually dice and/or shred both breasts and both legs for this recipe. Then we save the thighs and wings for another meal.


You can adjust the spices and chilis to suit the level of spicy you'd like. I love to use my enameled cast iron pot for this, but any heavy soup pot will work. I'm not a huge fan of the large white kidney beans, so I'm going to try black beans next time and see how that works.



White Bean Chicken Chili


2 tbls canola oil

1 yellow onion chopped

2 cloves garlic minced

1 7oz can of green chiles

1 tsp of oregano

1 tsp of coriander

1 half tsp of cumin (or more depending on taste)

1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth (or more if you like it soupy)

1 small and 1 large can of diced tomatoes

Rotisserie Chicken from supermarket, already cooked, diced (I prefer shredded or pulled)

1 can of corn

1 can of white beans (a.k.a. Navy beans)

1 can of white kidney beans (a.k.a. Cannellini beans)

Salt and pepper to taste


Cook the onion in the oil on medium-high heat in a soup pot until translucent. Add garlic, cook a couple more minutes. Add the chiles and stir to incorporate. Add the spices and stir to incorporate. Add the chicken broth and stir, scraping to get the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the tomatoes, chicken, corn and beans, cover and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the temperature to low and simmer the chili for another 10-15 mins. Check the flavor and adjust with salt and pepper.

It tastes even better the next day. Serve with some sort of bread on the side. I love cornbread for this because I can put a big hunk of it right in the chili. Marie Callendar's mix is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment