My stepmom found this recipe many years ago. It's super easy to make and sooo yummy (works great for a dessert too). It's now a tradition to make it every year for Christmas morning. Yum!
Stuffed French Toast Strata
1 1-pound loaf unsliced French bread
1 8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
2½ c. milk, light cream or half & half
6 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
¼ c. maple syrup
- Cut French bread loaf into cubes. (You should have about 12 cups of bread cubes.)
- Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- To assemble, in the prepared baking dish place half of the bread cubes. Top with cream cheese cubes, and then with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a blender container or a mixing bowl with a rotary beater, mix together the eggs, milk, melted butter or margarine, and maple syrup until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and cheese cubes. Using a spatula, slightly press layers down to moisten. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Bake in 325° oven for 35-40 minutes or till the center appears set and the edges are lightly golden. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Apple Cider Syrup.
Apple Cider Syrup
½ c. sugar
4 tsp cornstarch
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 c apple cider or apple juice
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- In a small saucepan stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Then stir in the apple cider/juice and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir the mixture of medium heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Then cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the butter or margarine till melted.